Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pay it Forward

One time I was at the gym, and this movie, "Pay it Forward" was playing in the cardio cinema (oh, how I miss Gold's Gym).  Big mistake.  As if exercising doesn't challenge my breathing enough, I throw in some bawling.  Difficult.  This was a cool movie, with the concept of doing something nice for someone, and then requesting that they do something kind of generous to someone else.

I know I've been the recipient of far too many of these acts.  And I hope that I'm living in such a way that I really do treat others with kindness.  That I provide a little lighter load for a moment or two.  But it's a good reminder to always be on your guard for the needs of others and being willing to help.

Last night, a group of friends and I had hit up a free museum tour in Scottsdale and decided to grab some Indian food.  It was a fun restaurant and we inhaled the food.  Someone finally asked the server, "we're ready for the check whenever you can."

"Someone in the restaurant already picked up your bill.  Have a nice night." 

What!?!?  This was not a cheap bill.  6 people's worth of food.  I was flabbergasted.  Who does that?  I made 2 of my friends swear that it wasn't them (one of them is renowned for doing stuff like this, I had to fight him at a sonic drive-in so he wouldn't pay for my mozzarella sticks).  But they claimed it wasn't them.  Are there really people out there that are just that nice?  That are really looking for ways to serve anywhere they go, even to the point of a financial sacrifice?  Even this morning, I'm still in shock.  I don't know how to respond.  There's no one I can say thank you to.  It's like saying thank you to Santa on Christmas morning.  Except even then, he heard. 

Just making me think about things...a lot.  My heart is full.  It wasn't even a need.  We all have the money to pay for our own food.  And this is the way our loving Heavenly Father is.  He sends blessings to us always.  He knows our needs, but He knows our wants, and He knows what's good for us, or would be a good experience...for our growth or just to pique our mind to remember Him.  His hands are in every aspect of our lives. 

2 comments: