Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Girl in the Yellow Shoes

One of my favorite books is "Confessions of a Shopaholic."  It makes me uncomfortable with the mistakes she makes, but I laugh so hard while reading it.  She fantasizes about the oddest things.  One thing being how great the green scarf is going to make her look"  and how when she goes places, people will be in awe.  everyone will identify her by this scarf.  Maybe even speak about her in hushed tones.  Eventually, the person that loans her the money to buy said scarf for her "grandma" becomes her love interest.  But when she becomes a successful writer, her pen-name is "the Girl in the Green Scarf.

Well, for the last 4ish years, I have kind of had this same hope.  People in the elevator at work used to comment..."oh, I love your shoes!  "Oh, you're the girl with the yellow shoes!"  "Those are such cute shoes!"  I was truly identified by my shoes.  Makes it tricky when making stops in the restroom :0)

These shoes have been with me through a lot.  Countless dates, a few continets, many hours at a desk, several moves, many trips, 2 job quits, snowstorms, rainstorms, and so many memories.  But alas, they have become highly smelly.  And although I could remedy this situation, I have decided to throw them away and replace them with some other cute shoes.  It has been hard to come to this conclusion.  I do this with a truly heavy heart.  But sometimes we need to move on.  I don't think I've ever been so attached to a pair of shoes. 

Here's to you, extremely cute pair of shoes.  Thank you for being the perfect color of yellow.  For always adding a little pop of color to my outfits.  For being so comfortable.  For never giving me blisters.  For looking good with every pair of pants I own.  With every skirt I wear.  You have been the standard of my closet for years.  Your memory will live forever.  Thanks for giving me a clothing identity.  Thank you KMart, for selling me these shoes. 

4 comments:

  1. It's true!! I love these shoes. My heart is saddened too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like a terrible friend. I do not remember these shoes. Odds are, I complimented you on them because they are awesome, but...I don't remember them. Post your replacement photo soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved those shoes! They have been many places. Hopefully you found some equally cute ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked into my blogger dashboard, and lo and behold, I saw the yellow shoes and without even checking to see whose blog was first up, I thought -- I know those shoes!!! It's Julie!!! I'll be sad to miss those shoes.

    ReplyDelete