Friday, August 6, 2010

Gifts

Matthew 7: 7-11
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and he shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Last Friday, I got to drive my dad from Salt Lake back to Idaho Falls. He was noticing that my car was making a thumping noise, and informed me that it was because of my tires.

"When was the last time you rotated your tires?"

Is that a legitimate question to ask? I have no idea. Probably never. I did get a flat tire 2 years ago and actually got 2 new tires...maybe 4, I can't remember. Since then, I can guarantee I have done nothing with my tires. I just keep my radio on so I don't have to hear things that may be going wrong.

So I told him I'd get that taken care of when I got my car serviced when I returned to Utah. That wasn't going to work for him. On Sunday, I was summoned into the front room by Bill and he asked if he could take my car to get new tires the next day while I went on a rockin' hike with some family members. Sure, just let me know what I owe.

Well, he took my car and got new tires and filled my tank with gas. He just told me to save money for the next time I have to buy tires. As I pulled away from the homestead on Tuesday morning, I was overwhelmed with gratitude for my parents, especially my dad. He didn't need to get my car fixed, I would take care of it, and obviously, it was doing just fine. Yet, it was a need that I had. Not a want. If my earthy father can take that good of care of me, how much more can my Heavenly Father take care of me!! It was something so simple, but I learned so much about how God works in blessing our lives. How many blessings am I not noticing because I don't think of them as my needs...only looking for my wants.

God lives and loves each one of us. He gives us what we need. I am deeply grateful for that and hope that I can be more aware of the blessings He constantly is sending my way.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post. Some of my favorite scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this:-) You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet your Dad was so tickeled to be able to take care of a want! I think the Lord really enjoys blessing us as well. I'm glad you are getting to spend some time with your WHOLE family!!! --Aunt Shelly

    ReplyDelete