Wednesday, March 23, 2011

D & D

At the conclusion of an evening with a male, he made a few comments that led to this discovery - Tuesday night is Dungeons and Dragons night.

Yep. He chose me over Dungeons and Dragons night. I'm so flattered.

I couldn't stop laughing.

I asked a serious of questions about this game. Turns out, I totally had the wrong game in my head. I was thinking about Magic. Which, I remember trying to be friendly with a kid in 9th grade who played magic during lunch. Which reminds me of the group of kids at college that wore robes around campus and then met in the park at night and would have mystical fights. I don't mean to judge...but, wow.

Here are a few highlights from the game:
1. There is a Dungeon Master. He's the moderator and tells the story. He has serious preparation when it comes to this game.
2. The players get to choose who they are and what's in their pack of magical elements.
3. No one ever wins or loses, but rather, just gain experience points...which, by missing one night, is totally putting this male behind.
4. All you really need to play is a the rulebooks, the character sheet and a set of polyhedral dice.

Feel free to read the overview on wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons

This is such an interesting concept for a game. Just making things up. Guided imagination. Who knew it would have such a following. And I was not anticipating this little enlightenment. So you all should share in the joy of it.

2 comments:

  1. We had a babysitter who taught us how to play when we were kids and even left us his set of polyhedral dice. We had a 4, 6, 8, 12, and 20. Coolest babysitter ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may or may not have played this in college. :) Firefly style... maybe.

    ReplyDelete