Friday, March 4, 2011

Hypochondriac

Before meeting up for a basketball game, me and my friend had a phone conversation that informed me she had been to the doctor. So, first thing I do when I see her is ask her why she went to the doctor, and was everything okay (she is a stellar friend and usually takes care of people, so it could have been someone else that she was with).

"Before you say anything, don't touch anything I touch."

"Excuse me?"

"The Doctor says I might have strep, but the infectious part is probably over."

My throat starts to close and I feel light headed. I've never had strep throat before, but I imagine that's how it feels. Her disease probably jumped onto me in the few seconds I had seen her and hadn't been closer than 3 feet to.

------

At work, I stepped into the restroom and saw one of our volunteers sitting on the couch, I asked her if everything was okay. She felt dizzy. It was probably the carrots that she had eaten.

I get back to my desk, and what's my little snack? Carrots. I force myself to take the first bite. Yes, I think I'm getting dizzy. Oh no, I'm going to have to go home.

Through self-talk, I decided I was okay. My carrots weren't the same as hers. I would be fine. I wasn't even dizzy at all.

------

Nothing like a being a self-diagnosed hypochondriac to keep me on my toes.

1 comment:

  1. For a hypochondriac, you sure do a good job of avoiding the doctor. :)

    Also, you've never had strep throat? ever? Or have just never been to the doctor and had your strep throat diagnosed? :)

    ReplyDelete