Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Continental Breakfast

My sister is in town for some job training, so of course I stayed at her hotel. I think hotels are more fun & appealing when I know I don't have to share the space with my dad, the loudest snorer in the world. One of the joys of hotels is the free continental breakfast. When I left, oh so early, this morning, I stopped in the lobby and snagged a little danish, some juice, an omelette and some yougurt. I think tomorrow I'm going to plan on leaving earlier so I can make some waffles.
Recently, I started eating breakfast again. It's fun. But I think my life would be complete if I had continental breakfast at my house, where I could grab what I want without having to cook it. Where could I hire out for that type of service? Would the food stay warm enough if I made it the night before? If I did that, I promise to never make bacon. It's incredible how that smell permeates every part of everything. Ew.
Which also reminds me...I called the meal at 12:00 "Dinner" today, and was mocked by my co-workers for calling it that. Turns out, according to wikipedia, that calling "lunch" "dinner" is typical of English, German, Canadian, & industrial cultures. And then supper is the closing meal of the day. So it wasn't weird that I called it that at all. In fact, in other research I've done, I learned that the "lunchlady" doesn't exist in England, she's the "dinnerlady."

3 comments:

  1. Haha. I'll get the George Foreman grill fired up for you every morning. Just try not to burn your foot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can hire me. $20 a day. Done and done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and the lunch room is actually the dining hall. true story! I was at home in England with my references to lunch as dinner. Oh sweet comfort!

    ReplyDelete