Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Yosemite

A great hiking adventure to Yosemite started many months prior with an invitation from my sister and her husband to meet them for Half Dome. Me and Suzanne left from SLC and met up with them on Wednesday night at Camp Curry. It was so good to get greeted by their adorable children and the grandparents. I luckily contracted a huge, nasty cold & cough that kept me up all night and most of the camp, I'm sure. We woke up early Thursday morning, had breakfast and headed up the mountain. It was so gorgeous. The first few miles are done by 2 beautiful waterfalls. Probably the hardest time---huge steps and a lot of elevation gain. The view was incredible. We made it to the sub-dome in about 5 hours. We had lunch and then presented the rangers with our hiking permits to get us to the dome. Half way up the sub-dome, I started getting nervous (visions of me falling, etc), and by the time we reached the top of it, I turned around. I feel like such a baby. I don't like that my limitations are so low. So I headed back down and enjoyed some time by myself just meditating and enjoying my own view. The rest of the group returned from scaling the side of the dome with the cables and we headed back down. Taking time to filter some water and being really tempted to swim. We took an alternate trail down and got another view of the waterfalls and the valley. Wow. It was such a fantastic day. Only gone for 13 hours. Not too shabby. That night we made smores....minus the camp fire, in the tent. It was decided to come back in 5 years. Maybe I'll finish the summit that time :0)

I am in awe at the beauty of this National Park. Probably my favorite that I've visited so far in my life. Everything about it is just majestic and so peaceful. I am glad I got to experience it with some of my family.



Me and Suzanne overlooking the valley. Incredible.



Suzanne and Emilee on the hike.



Liberty Cap, or something like that.



View from the Sub-Dome...when I decided it was a good enough view for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment