Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Humble Pie

No, I didn't eat any...please, not part of my diet, at all :0)

I have been reading a book by President Boyd K. Packer. I really am enjoying it a lot. Last night I read a passage that I can't stop thinking about and I just wanted to share it really quickly:

While he was a mission president, President Packer was needing to call a new assistant. He interviewed every missionary with the question in his head "is this the man?" This missionary had come to service after having a lot of shaping up to do.
After this announcement, a missionary came to him who grew up with this kid and was familiar with everything that this missionary had done. His first question was "do you really know the elder you have appointed as your assistant?"
"Yes, Elder. I know all that you know about him, and a good deal more."
"Why, then, was he appointed your assistant?"
"Elder, why don't you ask the question that you came to ask? Why did you not appoint me?"

It then becomes a type of Prodigal Son approach - this missionary has worked hard and has been diligent in all things the whole time. The new assistant hasn't.

"If you should ask why you were not chose, I would have to answer 'I do now know, Elder.' I only know that he was chosen. Perhaps he may fail. But at least I know he is the one with the combination of talents and ability and qualities best calculated to get done what the office needs at the moment. This is no reflection upon you. You may yet preside over him and many above him. You may be his bishop or his stake president. You may preside over the Church. I do not know. But his call is no reflection upon you. Do not be injured by it. Go back to work and serve the Lord. Sustain him. Your contest is not with him but with yourself."

He then added "You may have a bit of repenting to do."

What a huge lesson to learn! I love the line "your contest is not with him but with yourself." I think I feel this way a lot, I end up comparing myself to others, thinking I'm pretty fantastic, but that doesn't mean that I get every opportunity. That's unfair. And that's not relying on the Lord to do His work through everyone. Ultimately, we all have something to contribute, at different times, in different ways. I haven't quite been able to get into words my thoughts yet, but I am loving this concept right now.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Thanks for sharing... I like it is not the contest with him, but with yourself. What a thought!

    ReplyDelete