Friday, December 2, 2011

Post

This book review has been waiting for a while. I don't really know what I've been doing that has prevented me from just typing it up. But here it goes.



Mars & Venus on a Date. Written by the guy who wrote "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus," John Gray. (Ph.D) It was an interesting book. Always fun to read about things that I'm participating in, and actually have no clue what I'm doing.

He talks a lot about soul mates. Which, I'm not sold on that concept, but I do believe there are people we get along with better than others. He broke the dating life into 5 stages - attraction, uncertainty, exclusivity, intimacy and engagement and how to act through each stage by revealing what the other person is thinking and doing in each stage. Page 171 actually was exactly what I needed to hear - it was explaining what happens when people are in different stages, or someone has moved faster than the other one. Turns out I might have sabotaged a relationship because of this. But at least now I have words for how I was feeling.

Apparently the main reason for dating is for the guy to prove to the girl that he can make her happy. Hmm. Now I feel pretty liberated that I don't really need to do anything, except allow them to try. We'll see how long I last in not driving the relationship car.

One major downfall to this book was in the chapter about flirting, the pages were missing, never to be found. I guess I'll never know how to flirt. :0(
I recommend the book regardless of this. It's not the best book I've ever read, but it gives some understanding for the beauty of dating.

4 comments:

  1. What about Larissa's Flirting Bible? Just don't look at your phone. That's all I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stare at them without blinking, ride the elevator (scope them up and down), then lick your lips. Works every time;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Larissa. Just reading your comment makes me feel squishy in the knees. I can only imagine experiencing it in person. :)

    ReplyDelete