Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Vacuum

I bought a vacuum. I assembled it (all 3 steps, thank goodness for my handy screwdriver). I used it. The floor was beyond nasty. I think this is why I keep getting sick. Either that, or my landlord is putting something in the vents that is making me sick. Interesting theory, eh?

As I was in Target, trying to figure out my purchase, I was lost. I've never bought a vacuum before. I don't know what the heck I'm looking for. Sure, I've seen plenty of commercials telling me what the best choice would be, but that was before I could fully spell vacuum, let alone afford one. So I called my sister for some advice. We reasoned it out, quickly said no to the bright yellow one, and settled on the cheaper Dirt Devil. I'm grateful she knows a little about the business to help me out. As I proceeded to the check out line, I realized I kind of hate being an adult. No, I don't hate the income. I do hate the responsibility. The having to make big purchases by myself. I never envisioned myself buying a vacuum on my own. A friend of mine just bought a condo. Yippee for her! Yet, she was still shy about doing it because she didn't ever want to buy a house by herself. I think I get how she was feeling. There is really no comparison to a house & a vacuum, but a small principle applies.

Maybe I just shouldn't go shopping by myself.

But at least I have a very clean floor :0)

10 comments:

  1. Way to be! I have never purchased a vacuum. Who bought a condo? Anyone I know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I STILL struggle with buying vacuums. Which sister will tell what to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for not fun to buy but necessary household pieces of equipment!! I used my tax return to buy one three years ago. I bought it on a recommendation from a colleague and have been quite satisfied. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to make a decision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought the cheap Target Vaccuum and I use it at least once per week! Perhaps my overzealousness is what busted it in the end...I had to buy a new one exactly one year later. BUT...it works like a charm - and I use the attachments reguarly on my super-awesome couch. It was VERY weird buying my own vaccuum for the first time - and my nice dishes and super-nice new flatware and TV and computer and my very own apartment (just renting) and and....all things I'd have someone else with me to influence the decisions. But, that selfish side of me is glad I get to pick what I want:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah...and all my furniture and TWO beds...so weird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...must run in the family. I have this same vacuum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome that you and Natalie have the same vaccuum. I purchased my own first vaccuum 3 days ago, also at Target! What a cooincidence. However, I did not select the same model. I got a Bissell one that was on sale, and still I am wondering if it was the right decision or not. I went to walmart after I made the target purchase, and for future reference, I think walmart has a better and cheaper selection. We are also thinking of buying a house, I don't know how in the world that will work out considering how much trouble I had with the vaccuum. Oh well. Good luck with your vaccuum and also, Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i don't know how to spell vacuum, apparently. sorry.

    ReplyDelete