Thursday, May 5, 2011

Jockey Box


Turns out, jockey box is not a common phrase heard in Utah.
LUCKILY, the last 2 times I've used it, I've been associated with 2 other people from Idaho who could back me up on the legitimacy of the word.

JOCKEY BOX - what Idahoans call the glove box. I'm sure other people use the phrase, like those in England. A jockey box was “a box in a wagon, underneath the driver's seat, for carrying small articles.” While the wagon has changed, the function remains the same.

Also, it's a way to store alcoholic beverages. Oh, the things you learn on the Internet.

3 comments:

  1. I heard it a few times growing up in Grantsville. Maybe those people were from Idaho originally. Or maybe it's a farm thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Thank you for the history lesson. I appreciate the idahoans supporting eachother with the lingo.
    Ps. I need an update.

    ReplyDelete