Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Orange Chicken

At work yesterday, I get this text from a boy (all good stories start this way, right?) and he asked "what's for dinner?"

Panic.

Turns out I'm not a meal maker. I can make food, but I don't eat meals. And when someone else is involved, "food" doesn't cut it. Chips and salsa, not really a meal for everyone, just me. Popcorn, same thing.

So I ask my co-worker. What's something easy to make for a boy.

Pizza. Or nachos.

A sweet friend said "what is your best and easiest thing to make?"

No dice.

By the time I got home, I had decided to make orange chicken. It's an easy recipe and it's a rockin' meal. So, I will provide the recipe, as provided by a lovely sister of mine.

5 breasts of chicken, cut into bitesize pieces.
Put that in a bag that has 1/4 cup flour, and salt and pepper to taste (which, I don't taste, kind of gross) and cover the pieces.

Fry it up - 1/2 cup oil. Brown it.

Sauce - 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup sugar. In saucepan, dissolve sugar. Then add sesame seeds, orange zest and green onions. I don't measure that. Double the recipe makes for tastiness.

Combine that with the chicken.
Serve over rice.
Maybe with broccoli.

And brownies.

Oh, the domestic life. Kind of exhausting.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Gonna have to try that. It sounds pretty easy--that's a huge bonus!

    ReplyDelete