Sunday, October 16, 2011

Rose Colored Glasses

The first time I had ever made sense of the phrase "Rose Colored Glasses" was in the 11th grade. Ms. Love's english class. My friend made a comment about it in relation to a story we had just read and it clicked. Since then, I haven't really thought of it, except when I see pink sunglasses at the store, and I make some witty comment about it. I always laugh.

A few years ago, I got a pair of sunglasses that I only recently started to use more fully. I've been spending time outside wiht the beautiful autumn-ness and noticing how truly gorgeous everything is. Beautiful reds and deep greens...incredible. And then I for some reason take my sunglasses off and realize...hmm, this isn't as impressive without my glasses on. I wonder if I could take a picture through my sunglasses to show the beauty of what I am seeing.

I legitimately have rose colored sunglasses. And I love it! But it is always a bit depressing when I realize that the colors aren't as enhanced as I know they could look. But I have seen some really pretty things that need no enhancing...



I made it to the Grand Canyon this week. Incredible.

Is there harm in looking through life with rose colored glasses? I know we're supposed to see things as they really are, but is it bad to see things as a little better than they are? I heard this: Speak generously of others. When I look at others and only notice the bad things, danger. But when I look for the good, it makes me feel good.

I'm keeping my rose colored glasses.

2 comments:

  1. Amen!
    I know a girl who has some pretty great pink sunglasses and they really do make everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Julie. Life really is happier when you see the good. I hope you are finding lots of good things down there in AZ. Been thinking about you since your visit, and hoping you are having a smooth transition to this next adventure!

    ReplyDelete