Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Adventures of the Day

Today was full of some interesting adventures.
I am in Idaho Falls with the parents for a few more days before the descent to Arizona. So I got together with a brother and sister for lunch. The chosen place - closed (and moved). So we met at another local restaurant and just as we're digging into the chips and salsa...the lights go out. We just start laughing. The waitress comes by and asks if we're ready to order. Really? Is the power going to come back on soon? No, but the kitchen is still functioning. So we order. The entire meal is eaten in the dark, and one candle. As we got up to leave, Bryce blew out the candle and in that exact moment, the lights came back on. Classic.

Then I went to get my car serviced. I see a friend from high school come in, but she's on the phone, so I just sit patiently until she gets off the phone. She is getting popcorn for her children, and turns around, sees me and yells, so loudly "JULIE TAYLOR!! I'll call you back." I don't think I've ever received such a welcome. The workers were happy to hear the reunion and later said "we've never had someone so excited to get their oil changed." It was a fun little chat with her.

Then I did a little shopping with my sister-in-law, attended the temple, and went to dinner with the parents.

THEN, I found my mullet wig.

Then I read "Heaven is for Real." (by Todd Burpo) Such a great story about this boy, a son of a preacher, who goes to heaven during a critical surgery. He teaches his father so much about what heaven is like. So many things made me realize how much I already know through the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ (lds.org). The mom had a miscarriage, and the boy met his sister in heaven. He never had heard about this miscarriage before. And sure enough, there are 3 distinct members of the Godhead. A part that stood out to me, was the dad was really mad at God for letting all these things happen. During that moment, God was actually blessing him in such a profound way. How often do we get mad, even though there are abundant blessings in our midst. He knows all. He is willing and does extend every amount of mercy on our behalf. The son said of Jesus "He died on the cross so everyone could come back to live with his dad." Christ lives as well, so we can all live with Heavenly Father again.

No comments:

Post a Comment