Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Thank You

You have just benefitted from a kind gesture of any sort...an answer to a question, a ride, a gift. You say "thank you." The person on the receiving end says "thank you." What does that even mean? What happened to answering "you're welcome"? Did I miss something? Is it actually against protocol to say "you're welcome"? So many times I wonder what I did to them that would merit an expression of thanks. I guess it was nice of me to say something. It was nice of me to sit in the car while they drove.

The word gracious has come to mean a lot to me. It really is accepting the thanks or even the compliment that someone has given you. I tend to pray "dear gracious Heavenly Father." Why? I don't know, it's just something I've picked up, but I know that he accepts my gratitude. And aren't we trying to be like him?

I appreciate the gratitude that I feel and that I usually remember to express it. And I appreciate when others accept these expressions. It fulfills me in a way that lets me know that what I've said is heard & taken and appreciated.

I hope that I can be more thankful & gracious and that I can give others reason to be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment