Friday, June 3, 2011

G-Ma

Over the past 3 weeks or so, my sweet grandma has been chilling at the hospital. She had an infection in her leg. I think it's almost better, and hopefully she'll be returning to her home.

This lady is incredible. She's 95 and mostly survives on her own. She's had a few roommates through the years, but she's quite content to just play solitaire and eat toast.

I got to go visit her, and then I got to spend the night with her while I was in Idaho. When I got to the hospital, a sweet neighbor lady was sitting with her. Christie is a German immigrant and so met my grandparents through that. When I came into the room, Grandma's hands were so gross. I really thought that her ailment was a lot worse. Come to find out, Christie had totally lathered up Grandma with lotion. Gave her a good rub down. This wasn't totally pleasing to Grandma. She leaned over to me and said "how long is she going to be here?" Kind of hilarious.

Deep admiration of this lady stemmed throughout the night. She handled jokes and dished some out. When she got awakened during the middle of the night to have her blood tested, she was as pleasant as could be. Impressed. I also had the sweet experience of hearing her talk in her sleep. That's weird, I know, but older people get cooler dreams, and so I had a little insight to what's going on.

One thing has been learned through all of this. I need to start reading "You and Your Aging Parent" stat. Maybe even get me a leatherbound copy, put my name on it and keep it with my scriptures. My parents aren't getting any younger, and I want to provide as much help as I can.

Thanks Grandma, for the great sleepover.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me miss my own grandmother. She said she's going to die on August 8, which is a change up of her previous commitment to not leave us until I find my special someone. I love her stories and her giggle and her sweetness and her overwhelming knack at turning anything into gossip...I love her clothes and the shoes she's given me from the 50s and 60s. I wish I could spend more time with her. That's all. Thanks for reminding me of my own family:-)

    ReplyDelete