Thursday, June 30, 2011

Nudge

Nudge, Improving Decisions about Health, Wealth and Happiness. By Richard H. Thaler and Cass R. Sunstein.

I didn't finish this book. Which is weird for me, and I still feel guilty and compelled to finish it. But I have been working on it since April and I am not quite halfway. I took it on my last trip to knock out some of the length of the book, but I decided to sleep (it wasn't my fault there was no one else on my row and I could actually lay down...or that the plane was 1.5 hours late in leaving...)

From what I read, it was actually quite interesting. It's about choice architecture. How there are so many things in our lives that influence how we choose something. Just like how physical architecture adds to our overall feeling and functionality of a building. I couldn't quite figure out if this book was trying to teach me how to manipulate people or how to make better choices myself by being aware of presentation and how I am affected by it. Possibly effected :0)

I got lost in the section on economics. Not my strong suit. And after glancing at everything else, I didn't want to finish it.

Our minds are incredible things. Yet somehow we miss so much. We get programmed in one way and it's hard to see anything else. We create our own paradigms. I'm impressed with the people who figure out our irrationality and help us to use the brain in a better fashion.

I'm not done reading "sociological thrillers," but this one just didn't satisfy me. Even though the cover is pretty cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment